As we were sitting on the couch one night Sydney was speaking defiantly about getting something out of the pantry. We both said she couldn't and Alvin said she didn't need to yell at us. Sydney then said "Whatever" and walked to the kitchen to look at the stuff in the pantry. Our jaws dropped open and as we looked at each other I asked Alvin if she said what I thought she said. To confirm I asked Sydney what did she just say to us. Her response, "I said Whatever!" Ah. We couldn't help ourselves - we just laughed at the situation. Which resulted in over a week of Sydney saying "that word" at every opportunity including the wrong times such as when we tell her she can't do something or when she has to pick up her toys.
Admittedly, Alvin and I say Whatever a lot when we joke with each other or even at some not so funny moments. Now that little Sydney says it, though, we have stopped our use of the ever-so-versitle conversation word.
Sydney, being Sydney, even started singing "the whatever song" after we told her she couldn't say the word. She figured she could stillsing the word without getting into trouble. The song goes to the tune of the Farmer and the Dell (as do all other narrative songs) and goes something like this: "Wha-di-di-ev-va-er! Wha-di-di-ev-va-er! Wha... di... di... ev.... va... er.... Wha... di.... ev... va.... er!"
Within a week this all stop with the ever-reliable bribe. If she went a day without saying or singing Whatever she would get something special in the morning.
And with that... Whatever to toddlers and them thinking on their quick little toes!
No comments:
Post a Comment